Dating back to the 1st Century BC, this is the most impressive cave temple
in Sri Lanka. It has five caves under a vast overhanging rock, carved with a drip line to keep the interiors dry.
In 1938 the architecture was embellished with arched colonnades and gabled entrances. Inside the caves, the ceilings are painted with intricate patterns of religious images, following the contours of the rock. There are images of the Lord Buddha and bodhisattvas, as well as various gods and goddesses.